Below you will find a list of what I feel an indie filmmaker should be thinking or somewhat reminding themselves in 2018.
1. The Internet has been a Godsend tool to revive indie filmmaking, offering indie filmmakers direct road to their audience. However, you still need to build your audience/following, and that takes time and patience, lots of it. So if you are at the start of your career remember that it will take time to build your audience, so give yourself time and be patient.
2. Luckily nowadays we are spoiled for choice when it comes to platforms hosting content. Choosing the right one for you is a difficult decision, and a lot must be taken into consideration while you do that. From my experience, every film requires the different approach to distribution and marketing. So spend some time analysing your movies’ needs as well as the platform you are thinking of using for displaying/distributing your work on.
3. As an indie filmmaker you must remember that film is not only an art form but also a business so you should get educated about the film business, investments, pitching and simply being good in the room. It takes much time to practice, but everyone has to do it. The people on the top must talk to investors and pitch, so you are not alone.
4. To move up from low or no budgets films to bigger productions with more options for distribution and exposure your indie film will either have to be truly awesome and win lots of rewards or will have to make money somewhere, somehow for the decision makers to see the potential in you and your skills. So take that into account, while considering distribution. Maybe theatrical distribution is not the right answer for your project.
5. To be an indie filmmaker in our modern world, you will need to be determined beyond the ordinary human understanding of determination. To be constantly rejected and broken but still keep going requires nay God’s like strength.
6. I’m not going to lie to you; it is not easy to be an independent filmmaker. However, if you are one of those people who can’t do anything else and filmmaking is your love, passion and destiny stick to it no matter what.
You may be interested in:
- 89 links to films (narrative and documentaries) distribution companies websites,
- 95 links to sales agents websites representing feature films (narrative and documentary),
- 281 links to film commissions websites
- List of 117 short film festivals links
- List of 82 feature film festival links
- Filmmaking E-books
- Film Production Documents
- Film Contracts